Thursday 30 August 2018

Plastic Avalanche

In Room 5 we are learning how to describe a moment in time. We had to look at a picture and write what was in it. Our writing topic was plastic. We had to imagine we are one of the people in the picture. Our success criteria was to write in present tense, use my senses, sights,sounds,sensations,feelings and smells and to extend my sentence by adding more detail. I think I have done all of the things in the success criteria. Here is my plastic writing.

Green and white bottles are piling onto each other in a mountain and the petrol smell is conquering the air. The day is passing by and I feel determined, as if I am racing against time to get all of this plastic into piles. Will this ever end? “Stop daydreaming Milly,” shouts Mother. Dust rams into my eyes as a jeep rolls over the bridge. The crunching sound of my feet stumbling over the rubbish mixed with mud is taking over my ears. The large, dirty white crinkled sacks are under the towering bridge with a big variety of transparent bottles. I pick up a slimy green bottle and chuck it into the green basket and it bounces out back onto the mountain. I feel restless as I trudge over to the bottle and squeeze my anger into it.
******
Plastic is taking over the world! When it is 2033 the only thing that will be in the ocean will be plastic. We need to stop! I know some people forget to bring their bags into New World and have to use plastic bags but we are so much better than that! Plastic is everywhere! Some clothes are made out of plastic and some chairs are too! You know, Countdown is selling bags that are reusable and they are only one buck! Plus you can bring them back in if they are broken or ripped and get a new one for free! When you get coffee or tea at a cafe you need to bring your own cups in and then you are helping the planet. If we are doing little things alone we can do big things working together.
Sadness,anger,annoyance and confusion are all in my mind and I can’t get either one out. I know this is how we get food and water but isn’t there another way? Can’t we have a life without plastic or will it stay in our lives forever?
Here is the link to the picture



2 comments:

  1. Hi Sophie, I can tell from your description and from what you wrote after it that you feel very strongly about this important topic. Your phrase "squeeze my anger into it" is very expressive and really describes your feelings. Maybe when people read your writing it will make them think hard about whether they really should be using plastic bottles and bags.
    Mrs Idle

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your helpful comment.

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for your positive, thoughtful, helpful comment.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.