Wednesday 29 April 2020

The Small Things That Make You Smile

What things do you notice in life and what are you missing out on? For this task, we had to create a short story with requirements of: A good title, a beginning, middle and end and sentences describing what has been happening at your house during lockdown. What I found hard while making this post was trying to find the right sentences that disolved into each other. Here is my post about The Small Things That Make You Smile!


The Small Things That Make You Smile
Have you ever wondered what we haven’t noticed during our busy lives? On the 25 of March our lives changed. New Zealand was officially in lockdown. 

Stuck at home with my family for 4 weeks… not something that happens everyday, right? But spending more time with the pets has been wonderful. Watching a movie at night with a fluffy purring cat sitting on top of you seems like bliss to me and running through the swaying grass with your loyal furry friend towards the water trough is what living life to the fullest feels like.

Sitting around a table with my few companions, sharing laughter, smiles and good memories. This is what living in lockdown has been like for me. Making red velvet cupcakes that aren’t actually red to wearing pink hats twirling around the dance floor in front of a camera. Life couldn’t get much better than this! We always look out for each other whether its watching Mum complete an obstacle course (that includes climbing up a ladder,) to helping look for the tv remote. Or looking for more important things like my brother's bank card while Dad sulks because we make fun of him. There has also been an unusual visitor coming into our bubble on a daily basis lately. He flies in, chirps to us and then spends about 5-10 minutes trying to get out again! 

Looking out the window on a frosty Autumn morning I see five nests up in the plum tree and a big plump Kereru pecking at the few everlasting seeds. I have never noticed this scene before and now I wonder why people don’t recognize the small things in life that go by.

Staying at home is pretty fun if you have a loving family, cuddly pets and a ray of sunshine covering your deck.



4 comments:

  1. Hi Sophie,
    I love your title! It really is the small things that make us smile.
    You have penned a very reflective piece of writing which shows some deep thinking.
    My favourite saying is "Carpe Diem" which means seize the day. I think so many of us have actually made the most of every day we've had in this unusual situation.
    Stay safe,
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the great comment, Julie! I have never heard of that saying.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sophie
    I loved reading this, yes it is so true the small things in life make us smile. Sometimes we are all too busy to see this. I think this lockdown has made us all really appreciate the small things and what is important to us.
    Your last sentence about staying at home is pretty fun if you have a loving family makes me really think about some that may not have what many of us do.

    Mrs Wallace

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the cool comment, Mrs Wallace!

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for your positive, thoughtful, helpful comment.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.