Friday 31 August 2018

Trapped

























In Room 5 we are learning how to describe. We had to describe a picture with a turtle in it and what we think will happen next. Our success criteria was to use present tense, use adjectives that describe the turtle and extend our sentences by using more detail. We also had a challenge which was to begin each sentence in a different way. I think I have used all of the things in the success criteria and in the challenge. This piece of writing was about how plastic polluting the ocean and what it does to sea animals. Here is my writing called Trapped.

Sadness sweeps over me as I spot a limey green turtle tangled up in an angry slimy green fishing net. What can I do? What can I do? The words keep repeating in my mind as I stomp around on the golden sand.
The nightmare keeps scaring me as I go back to when I was picked up by a fisherman and thrown into the gigantic boat with a enormous fishing net. It was a stormy night last night and the boat kept swinging on the rocky oceans waves. I remember when the boat started to hover into the ocean waters and everyone screamed at the top of their lungs trying to get help. But it was too late the boat was already under water and I was pretty happy to go back home but then a swampy green thing came and it tried to kill me. The creature keeps me in its stringy claws and now I am on the side of a beach.
As I stop daydreaming there is another person with brown trousers and a blue t-shirt standing by my side with a sharp metal thing. It keeps coming closer and closer and I keep getting more anxious. Then there was a snap and I could feel my fins again! YAY! Wait, how am I going to go back home? Something is tickling me. I can see everything from up here! I am the king of the world! I came in like a wrecking ball! Splash! That was me doing a belly flop into the water. Before I leave I give my rescuers a toothy smile and turtle paddle away.
There are thousands of little bits of plastic in the sea and lots turtles like me get tangled up in it. As I swim back into the ocean I spot lots of plastic bottles and lots of other plastic things. I am now scared of what is going to happen to my home. Will all of my family die because of all of the littering by humans? Or will it stop? Nobody knows what will happen in the sea because it is all up to the people on land to make the decision.

4 comments:

  1. Sophie, you've done a great job describing the plight of the turtle from the turtle's perspective, which was a great idea and you achieved your purpose very well. You also gave us your own point of view at the start as the rescuer. One thing you could do to make this clearer for the reader is to give us more from the rescuer's point of view, at the start and maybe also at the end.
    Mrs Idle

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sophie, Amelia here, I think your writing is very good because you are not using words like I can hear, I can smell, or I can feel. From Amelia.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your positive comment, Amelia!

      Delete

Thank-you for your positive, thoughtful, helpful comment.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.